Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Psychoanalytic Critism

Even though Freud's theories are out of date and not really used in the world of psychology, well except for 101, they do often find themselves readily available in the literary world. Carl G. Jung, Freud's most famous pupil, started a theory on the collective unconscious. It is that all people have the same knowledge, experiences, and images stored in their psyche. These memories are stored deep inside everyone in the form of archetypes. When we read literature it might be that Archetypal Criticism is the easiest to see and define. Archetypes are everywhere in every story. In "Billy Bathgate" it would be easy to see that Freud and Jung philosophies weave together and create an A B C Psychoanalytical Criticism.

2 comments:

Amber said...

Hi Justin...I enjoy reading your comments. I found what you said about Freud's concepts only being taught in early psyc classes. I find that interesting because I have studied Freud in every one of my psyc classes, and even my child development classes. I think that Freud has a substantial place in the way our psychologists and educators view child development.

Tony Cialabrini said...

I agree that many of Freuds ideas are out dated and are not used much anymore. I think that if you incorporate some of the older ideas into the newer ones, you will have a better psychoanalytic view on things.

E.L. Doctorow

E.L. Doctorow